Monday, May 5, 2008

Bye Paola, and Good Luck!


My friend Paola has left Israel this morning to give birth in Italy where she comes from. She's one of the first friends that I made in Israel. In fact she and I met in the conversion course in which I enrolled when I first arrived in Israel two and a half years ago. At that time, we were both alone in the country (her husband still in London and mine in Hong Kong), and didn't know exactly what we were doing. We held on to each other for support and whatever little good time we could manage given the circumstances. I will never forget how we used to roam the whole city of Jerusalem from the shuk to the ancient sites in the old city.

Since our time in Jerusalem, I moved to Haifa with David and Paola to Tel Aviv with Uzzy, but our friendship continued through daily phone conversations, and weekly meetings in Tel Aviv coffee shops. She was also kind enough to be a subject of my makeup work several times when I desperately needed to build up my portfolio.

I don't know what course Paola's life will take now that she left Israel (long story). I hope the very very best for my dear friend Paola.

No comments: