Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Simcha

My in-laws are in town for two weeks for a family thing. First they are visiting with us for this week and we're all going down to Jerusalem for my niece's twelveth birthday.

A girl's twelveth birthday (or a boy's thirteenth) is a big deal for Jews. It's a rite of passage called bat-mitzvah. It's sort of like sweet sixteen, let's say, for the lack of better description. After bat-mitzvah, a girl is considered an "adult." There will be two big ocassions for our birthday girl. One will be a classic party in a hall with dinner, dance, and the whole big schbang. Another will be a religeous event. I am scheduled to read a portion of Torah in a synegogue for this. I'm kind of psyched about that.

Torah reading takes some practicing. It requires knowing both the text and the designated tones. When read well and correctly, it sounds beautifully melodious. When I listen to a good Torah reading, I find it calming and touching.

2 comments:

Mama Nabi said...

I'm impressed that you will be doing the Torah reading... how did it go? I haven't heard Torah readings often (I think a few time in movies?) but I do remember having similar reaction.

Wandering Ju said...

It went really well. I loved it. Usually it's done only by men but we organized a women's fathering for our occasion. Thanks for asking.
Hope you're having a great time with Namja.